[tahoe-dev] UnhappinessError on volunteer grid

slush slush at centrum.cz
Wed Sep 15 22:10:20 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm using Tahoe's VolunteerGrid for my personal backups.  I set up
backups and left it for few weeks ago without special attention. But I
tried to upload more files last week and found UnhappinessError:

<class 'allmydata.interfaces.UploadUnhappinessError'>: shares could be
placed on only 4 server(s) such that any 3 of them have enough shares
to recover the file, but we were asked to place shares on at least 6
such servers. (placed all 12 shares, want to place shares on at least
6 servers such that any 3 of them have enough shares to recover the
file, sent 16 queries to 12 peers, 8 queries placed some shares, 8
placed none (of which 8 placed none due to the server being full and 0
placed none due to an error))

I tried it today again and got again the same error. On Tahoe Welcome
page are currently online 17 servers, so I'm surprised that all of
them are full or readonly? I don't believe VolunteerGrid is full as I
provide two servers with capacity over 2TB and consume only around
60GB of space...?

Can I find out how many writable servers and free space is currently
available in grid? Or it is even possible it is bug in Tahoe?

Thanks a lot,
Marek