[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #366: address Nathan Wilcox's concerns about "Tahoe and the browser security model"

tahoe-lafs trac at tahoe-lafs.org
Sat Sep 18 17:51:04 UTC 2010

#366: address Nathan Wilcox's concerns about "Tahoe and the browser security
model"
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
     Reporter:  zooko              |       Owner:  nejucomo
         Type:  defect             |      Status:  new
    Component:  code-frontend-web  |     Version:  0.9.0
   Resolution:                     |    Keywords:  security capleak
Launchpad Bug:                     |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
Changes (by zooko):

  * owner:  => nejucomo

Comment:

 I wonder what process we would use to close this ticket. Maybe: have
 Nathan Wilcox sign off on it saying "I am no longer concerned about the
 impedance mismatch between the Tahoe-LAFS security model and the web
 security model?". I doubt that this would ever happen (at least not for
 another 5 or 10 years). So maybe we should try to narrow this ticket.
 Could we name some specific issues that we could verify whether or not
 they are still a problem and then close the ticket if they are fixed?
 Probably not.

 Nathan: How about this: write a document for the user explaining the
 dangers of mixing the web security model with Tahoe-LAFS, and then close
 this ticket. Here is a "seed" document which you could use as a starter:

 [source:trunk/docs/known_issues.txt]

 If that document already conveys your concerns to the user, then please
 close this ticket. If not, please write a document which does do so, or
 else post a comment on this ticket explaining what it would take to write
 such a document, or proposing some other process by which we can make
 forward progress on this ticket.

 Thank you!

--
Ticket URL: <http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/366#comment:9>