[tahoe-dev] UnhappinessError on volunteer grid

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Sep 23 13:10:31 UTC 2010

slush <slush at centrum.cz> writes:

> Hello Kevan,
>
> on volunteergrid are currently 14 servers online where 8 of them are
>>1.7.0. I'm using the last beta version on my all boxes.

Do people mean the same thing by "volunteergrid" and "pubgrid", and
specifically the one with introducer:

introducer.furl = pb://tin57bdenwkigkujmh6rwgztcoh7ya7t@pubgrid.tahoe-lafs.org:50528/introducer

If so, I have also been seeing problems.  I suspect this is due to a
combination of:

  * server default not having expiration of shares (for long term
    stability, this seems necessary - why isn't it the default?)

  * status page doesn't show for each server whether it has refused to
    accept shares, or if it's ok.  Maybe it can be yellow if it has
    recently refused shares under 1 MB.  Or maybe the limit can be
    displayed.

  * shares seem to be placed by latency more than fraction of remaining
    capacity, but I don't really know this.

and exacerbated by

  * many people play with the pubgrid as a client compared to setting up
    servers

  * people set up servers that are behind NATs but don't set them up right.

I am running 4 servers on the pubgrid, but 2 of them are full.  I
haven't uploaded anything huge, so occasionally I remove very large
shares from those servers :-)  I also have configured expiration.

buglet: storage status page should have nickname and page generation time.

buglet: default config file for storage should say "reserved_space =
1G".  People can set it, but it makes it easier to turn on storage, and
is a saner default - 0 is not a rational choice.