[tahoe-dev] Debian packages?

Olivier Schwander olivier.schwander at chadok.info
Mon Apr 18 12:53:10 UTC 2011

Dear all,

Since I am very interested in getting Tahoe in Debian (which is actually
blocking for my needs), I will try to make a summary of the current
Debian packages status.

The Debian packages on http://tahoe-lafs.org/debian/ are completely
outdated (2009, zfec 1.1, foolscap 0.4.1).

According to Debian ITP 544338[1], the only missing dependency is
zfec which is available in Ubuntu[2]. This is zfec 1.4.5 but the
package seems to work also with zfec 1.4.22. However, zfec and zunfec
scripts and 'import zfec' crash due to missing pyutil[3] (either with zfec
1.4.5 or 1.4.22). Since pyutil dependency is not listed in zfec control
file, I doubt it is fully functional even in Ubuntu (I don't have any
ubuntu to test).

pyutil 1.8.0 is available for Ubuntu in a PPA[4] and builds on Debian
Squeeze. It's not lintian-clean but problems seem easy to solve (most
time consuming ones are missing manpages). The upstream archive of
pyutil 1.8.4 contains debian/ directory, completely different from the
ppa one's. This package seems to have never reached Ubuntu. However, it
does not build on Debian due to missing setuptools_trial[5] dependency
which is not available nor in Ubuntu or in Debian.

Even as not a Debian developer, I would be glad to help but I do not
know how to start. There is a lot of disparate works without a coherent
structure. Moreover, I do not know the procedure to port a package from
Ubuntu to Debian (but I am pretty sure it is documented somewhere). Even
if most Tahoe users are Ubuntu users, the right thing to do is to
contribute to Debian since Ubuntu considers Debian as its upstream.

Cheers

Olivier

Footnotes:
[2] http://packages.ubuntu.com/fr/lucid/python-zfec