[tahoe-dev] Debian packages?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Apr 20 12:31:49 UTC 2011

bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org writes:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 07:06:55AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>> bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org writes:
>>
> Yes, system service should support both hosting several nodes, and
> different UIDs. This is probably longer term features, and maybe it should
> be considered non bloking regarding releasing a Debian package without
> this one first. This will require some more thoughts and code to have
> something working. It may happen in tahoe's sources like in the misc/ or
> contrib/ folder if upstream is interested though, and maybe that makes
> sense.

My advice is to package the basic code first, with zero support for FHS
compliance for nodes and node starting.  That lets users have
manually-created nodes in their own directories, and IMHO gets 95%+ of
the benefits of packaging.  That's where pkgsrc is now, FWIW.

Then, having support for a system node config and auto-start can be
added.

>>   I'm not sure what you mean by configurable storedir.  Do you mean
>>   splitting storage and node config?   People have been talking about
>>   that.  There could be a storage_dir= key added in the config file
>>   pretty easily.
>
> Sorry I didn't have the source code opened while writing the mail, so I
> might have done a mistake in the variable name that would need some
> flexibility.

I didn't look either - I was just thinking about the config file UI.
The exact name is not important.

I agree that the default should be the current behavior.

As for the script to start nodes, I think it belongs in tahoe proper,
not contrib, reading a config file in $etcdir (in autoconf speak), and
written portably.   I don't know how that fits with how Debian wants to
let users change config files, but it would be similar to many other
things.