[tahoe-dev] Debian packages?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Apr 20 13:16:39 UTC 2011

Olivier Schwander <olivier.schwander at chadok.info> writes:

> Le 20 Apr 2011 14:38, bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org a écrit:
>> A configuration system like the one provided by the openvpn Debian package
>> could be the way to implement that simply:
>>
>> /etc/default/tahoe containing a list of nodes to start automatically.
>>
>> Each node configuration would lie under a /etc/tahoe/$NAME directory,
>> owned by the right UID/GID with correct permissions, storage_dir key being

So how does a user who wants to start a client node get to write
/etc/tahoe/$NAME?  Is there a directory for every user already?  I see
tahoe client nodes as personal, not system, and treat them more like
dotfiles than system configuration.

>> automatically set to /var/lib/tahoe/$NAME, again with the right UID/GID
>> and perms.
>>
>> The init script would source /etc/default/tahoe, check each node
>> configuration dir in /etc/tahoe/ and its UID/GID, start each node with
>> the right options and owners.

That sounds largely reasonable, but it would be really nice if there was
a multi-node startup script (that su'd to the right user of course) that
was portable.

The startup script should not force storage_dir; and instead let the
config file be.  Otherwise "tahoe restart ." would do the wrong thing.

You may want to patch tahoe to default to setting storage_dir=.  But
that feels like fighting tahoe's way, where you choose to put a node
directory someplace.

> This solution sounds good but I am not sure of the benefit of this.
> Actually, I am wondering if there really many tahoe users which run
> multiple nodes with different nodes (I suppose it happens when you want
> to connect to different grids, with different quota for each node/user
> ?).

It's definitely realistic.  I connect to pubgrid and a private grid, and
some of my machines run pubgrid servers, and some my private servers.

Currently, having a client node with one's uid is the preferred way
because private/aliases is per-client-user.  Arguably tahoe should
separate the per-user config from the node config.

So, the notion that there is "a" system node is also not general.  It's
fair to think of each tahoe node as either an nfs client mount or an
exported filesystem.

If you haven't, you might try the following:

  set up a pubgrid server (tahoe user)
  set up a pubgrid client (your uid, perhaps, or tahoe user)

  set up a private grid introducer (tahoe user)
  set up a private grid storage server (tahoe user)
  set up a client (your uid)

and think about how all that config/storage really ought to be.  I
certainly see your point about FHS/Debian norms, but from my experience
it feels like a forced fit.  I'm curious what other people who have been
running multiple nodes think.