[tahoe-dev] several newbie questions

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Thu Apr 21 12:58:19 UTC 2011

Hello Folks,

Tahoe looks like the coolest filesystem around - certainly the only
dispersed filesystem I've found with some level of maturity, other than
cleversafe, and the only open source one.

There are several questions - answers to which elude me in perusing the
various publications, presentations, and documentation on Tahoe.  I
wonder if anybody can comment:

1. Tahoe seems to support multi-writer mutable files - but I can't seem
to find any discussion of consistency management and conflict resolution
mechanisms.  Are there any, and if so, can someone point me at some
documentation?

2. Looking at the capability mechanisms, it's not clear to what extent
capabilities are bound to individuals.  The standard problem with
key-based capabilities mechanisms is that they can be copied.  There are
a variety of ways to bind keys to individuals - but I can't quite tell
if Tahoe has implemented one of them.  Again... a pointer to some
details would be much appreciated.

3. What kinds of deployments are out there, and what kind of experiences
have people had with Tahoe in environments approaching production?

Thanks very much,

Miles Fidelman