[tahoe-dev] Tahoe offline install

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Wed Apr 27 23:28:23 UTC 2011

On 27/04/11 05:25, Kenny Taylor wrote:
> Hi Zhou,
>
> Regarding offline installs for Windows..  Once you build tahoe using
> 'python setup.py build', compress that folder to a zip file.  Take that zip
> file to another machine and install Python-2.6.6 and pywin32-py26 on that
> machine and you should be good to go.
>
> I don't know if that's a supported method, but it has worked for me on
> several machines.  :)

This will work, on any OS, under the following conditions:

 - no dependencies were already installed on the machine that ran
   'python setup.py build'.
   If any dependencies were installed system-wide, then they won't be
   in the build directory, and therefore will also need to be installed
   on the target machine in order for the copied build to work.

 - the target architecture, Python version (up to major.minor), OS, and
   in some cases the OS version, match those of the build.
   This is necessary for the built libraries that are not pure Python code
   to work.

 - the unzipped files have the right permissions. (This mainly affects
   non-Windows OSes.)

Also note that what you're copying is strictly speaking a build and not
an installation. (An "installation" is a build that has been copied to
system directories on the default Python module search path.)

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥ http://davidsarah.livejournal.com