[tahoe-dev] using tahoe as a backend driver for irods storage system

Terrell Russell terrellrussell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 22:27:49 UTC 2011

Hi Jimmy,

I'm also sitting at the intersection of these two pieces of grid-aware
software.  I've copied the iRODS list on this reply.

I suspect the performance of Tahoe-LAFS will be a major bottleneck for
using the mass storage driver.  But that's just a hunch.  I'd love to
see real numbers for this kind of thing instead of my idle speculation.
 If you've already got your head around the pieces to build, give it a
go and see if it's usable.

Accessing web-accessible data through iRODS microservices is another option.

However, a third option, released in iRODS 3.0, is the already-included
microservice object (MSO) drivers:

  Microservice Object (MSO) Drivers [1]

  msiobjget_http - Gets an HTTP/HTTPS/FTP object [2]
  msiobjput_http - Puts an HTTP/HTTPS/FTP object [3]

Please keep in touch with what you decide - iRODS currently does not
provide encryption at the file-level, so a Tahoe-LAFS integration has
been interesting to me for a while as well.

Terrell

[1] https://irods.org/index.php/Micro-Service_Objects
[2]
https://www.irods.org/doxygen/mso_http_m_s_8c_acd744d04c89f78276533165d58d6a9c0.html