[tahoe-dev] Live Distribution with compiled Tahoe-Lafs

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Thu Dec 8 19:47:30 UTC 2011

Hello again, Renat.

I believe we have exchanged messages before on this mailing list about
your OpenSuse-based Live CD.

I've just added your OpenSuse-based Live CD to this page:
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/OSPackages . Feel free to
update that row.

One concern I have about Live CDs, and indeed about *all* packages of
Tahoe-LAFS, is if the end user would be able to verify exactly what
software they were running and if there was a backdoor or security
flaw in it.

I see that susestudio.com has a declaration on it:

http://susestudio.com/a/FOqCQ8/tahoe-lafs-renats-suse-121

It says:

Security summary

[✓] Only official software sources are included.
[✓] No custom software packages were uploaded.
[ ] Overlay files were uploaded, but none are executable.
[✓] No custom scripts were enabled.

That's a nice step to display that information, but what if that
statement is wrong? What if the resulting Live CD actually has a
backdoor installed on it? How could the user detect that?

This isn't a problem specific to Renat's Live CD. Every packaging of
Tahoe-LAFS shown on
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/OSPackages should be
critically considered with the same question in mind. Those operating
systems use various techniques in the attempt to let people audit or
verify their contents.