[tahoe-dev] big data usability question

Raoul Duke raould at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 15:40:57 UTC 2011

> Not really related, but i wonder if and when rsync will support
> filesystems that keep track of what has changed since a certain point
> in history (thinking of btrfs and/or zfs here). This would make
> crawling of rsync near instantaneous.

definitely related to the general thing i was thinking about: i do
often find myself wondering if the file system should be a database
that keeps itself up to date magically wrt metadata so that i don't
have to keep recomputing things e.g. md5sums all the time.

on the other hand, then i wonder if i really trust any implementations
of such things ;-)

that, and the fact that i want my fs to be something portable so that
when i get hit by a bus my wife can plug it into her mac and be able
to read it and not have to know about macfuse or whatever :-) so i
tend to aim for pretty low common denominators. (doing my best to
avoid fat, of course, still).

sincerely.