[tahoe-dev] A question about the system

Jiawei Jiang jiawei at email.arizona.edu
Mon Feb 7 22:17:47 UTC 2011

Hi

I am studying your system. First, it is a very nice system.
I have confusion on the storage availability:
"Users do rely on storage servers for *availability*. The cipher text is
erasure-coded and distributed across *N* storage servers (the default value
for *N* is 10) so that it can be recovered from any *K* of these servers
(the default value of *K* is 3). Therefore only the simultaneous failure of
*N-K+1* (with the defaults, 8) servers can make the data unavailable."
I do not know how it works, how a file is encrypted and distributed among
these server. Could anyone briefly explain it to me?
Thanks very much.

Jiawei Jiang