[tahoe-dev] clarification on time stats for Immutable files and mutable files ?

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Wed Feb 9 22:38:21 UTC 2011

On 2011-02-09 19:29, Brian Warner wrote:
> On 2/9/11 12:20 AM, sreenivasulu velpula wrote:
[...]
>> + Encode And Push: 37 seconds (7.6kBps)
[...]
> This clock starts when we get the "yes" response from the last storage
> server that we want to use, and finishes when we get back the response
> from the last close().
>
>> # Cumulative Encoding: 7.4ms (31.6kBps)
[...]
> This is the portion of "Encode And Push" spent doing erasure coding.
> It's the sum of time spent in the one zfec.encode() call per segment. [...]
>
>> # Cumulative Pushing: 24ms (10.0kBps)
[...]
> This is the portion of "Encode And Push" spent sending shares to storage
> servers: purely network and server-turnaround time. For each segment,
> the clock starts when we start sending a share to the first server, and
> ends when we get the acknowledgment back from the last server. These
> times are then summed over all segments.

It seems strange that Cumulative Pushing is such a small proportion of
Encode and Push. From the descriptions above, I would have expected it
to be the majority. What is the other contribution to Encode and Push
that isn't included in Cumulative Encoding and Cumulative Pushing?