[tahoe-dev] Hash based Signatures for Tahoe LAFS

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Wed Feb 16 01:03:18 UTC 2011

Forwarded with permission.

-------- Original Message --------
From: Julian Wälde <jwaelde at cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
To: david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Subject: Hash based Signatures for Tahoe LAFS

Hello,

I happend to stumble uppon [1]. I am a student working on implementing
different merkle signature schemes ... and a private project of mine was
sorta similar to what you people were suggesting here (MSS with a lot of
tree chaining so that the  private key remains static/small).

What I'd like to know is whether there is a documentation for the exact
scheme you are (planing on) implementing. Also, I want to offer my help
to you (or who else is working on this).

-Julian

PS: I must admit that I'd not have had a look at the sources of tahoe
lafs and only read some crypto pages pages in the tahoe-lafs trac ...
I'll do catchup there tomorrow … maybe my questions will be answered by
that :)

PPS: it's super cool to see that people start using hash based signature
schemes ^^

[1] http://lists.randombit.net/pipermail/cryptography/2010-July/000067.html