[tahoe-dev] Hash based Signatures for Tahoe LAFS

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Fri Feb 18 17:55:45 UTC 2011

On 2/18/11 8:02 AM, Samuel Neves wrote:

> One positive point about hash-based signatures is that there's plenty
> of parallelism to go around. And parallelism is what processors are
> getting good at lately.
>
> The performance of SHA-256** for signatures can be improved.

Incidentally, one side-effect of the BitCoin system is to create a
linear financial incentive for speeding up SHA-256 hashes of short (one
or two block) sequences, so there are all sorts of tricks being
developed, including 128-bit SSE2 parallelism and GPU implementations. A
low-end HD5770 GPU can do 156 million hashes per second. I dunno what
the latency is like, but that's what pipelining is for :).

 http://www.bitcoin.org/
 https://github.com/jgarzik/cpuminer
 https://github.com/m0mchil/poclbm
 https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/main.cpp#L3071