[tahoe-dev] Stupid question: How can I keep my own data private?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Mon Feb 21 02:19:45 UTC 2011

eurekafag <eurekafag at eureka7.ru> writes:

> 2011/2/20 Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com>:
>> I run a pubgrid storage
>> node, and when the disk gets full I just randomly rm shares, trying to
>> pick ones that seem likely to be from non-reciprocal users (people who
>> store more than they provide).
>
> I'd suggest you to learn autocleaning features of tahoe. There are
> limits on storage size (more specifically, how much free space should
> always be available) and when to delete abandoned shares which weren't
> accessed N days. IIRC, it's called GC (garbage collection). No need to
> do that all manually.

Thanks - but I know about that and it's turned on.  The problem is that
this node has only about 3G available for tahoe, and the rate of people
storing files in the pubgrid, even with expiring leases at 30 days, is
such that it ends up full.   That results in only the 1G I have
configured as minfree being left, which is fine in terms of protecting
the host from tahoe, but it does not succeed in having a usable node for
my own use in the pubgrid.