[tahoe-dev] Windows 7 build error - Python.File class does not exist in the registry - WindowsError(5, 'Access is denied')

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Thu Feb 24 23:45:41 UTC 2011

On 2011-02-24 10:14, Jim Dorrington wrote:
>> - Are you running this in a user account that has had its registry
>>   permissions restricted more than the default for a normal user account
>>   on Win7 ultimate 64-bit?
> No. I have full administrator permissions.
>
> There appears to be something peculiar with Python registry permissions.
> A search of the registry for "Python.File" located Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Python.File
> but produced the following error:-
> "Error Opening Key: Python.File cannot be opened. An error is preventing
> this key from being opened. Details: Access is denied"
> Right-clicking the key and selecting permissions produced: "You do not have
> permission to view the current permission settings for Python.File, but you
> can make permission changes."
> A similar error appears for  the following keys as well:-
> Python.CompiledFile & Python.NoConFile
> I de-installed and re-installed Python (64-bit) - same result
> I repeated the above, but from the command prompt - which I ran "as administrator" - same result
> So I de-installed and installed Python (32-bit) instead - same result
> I have searched Google for this type of problem but drawn a blank.
> I can only assume that there is some sort of problem with my configuration.
> Unfortunately I don't have a 2nd win7 machine to test it on.

Ugh :-(. I'm not sure what might have caused this problem, and I don't have
Windows 7. A more general web search about broken Windows registry permissions
(not specifically for Python) finds that it is not particularly uncommon.

The following *may* work around this problem:

Edit the file 'setuptools-0.6c16dev3.egg/setuptools/command/scriptsetup.py',
and delete lines 181 to 189 inclusive (starting with 'try:' and ending with
'CloseKey(target_key)'). Then try 'python setup.py build' again.