[tahoe-dev] Garbage collection default

Kevin Reid kpreid at switchb.org
Sun Jan 9 22:31:16 UTC 2011

On Jan 9, 2011, at 14:37, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:

> I'll bet most people don't know that they have to manually configure
> garbage collection on in their tahoe.cfg if they want to free up old,
> unused space.

Perhaps we should turn GC on by default; perhaps with a longer-than-30-
days value and a recommendation to turn it down.

> (And at the same time that they have to run a deep-add-lease regularly
> on all of their files that they don't want to have garbage-collected.)

Files need regular check/repair to be reliable in the long term
anyway; as part of this change there ought to be a single obvious
defaults-to-deep-repair-and-add-lease operation.

Also, how about the WUI presenting warnings whenever possible
(directory or file-info views) about expiring leases, with a very
conservative default?

Perhaps the gateway welcome page could have "Configure this!" advice
until non-defaults are set.

--
Kevin Reid                                  <http://switchb.org/kpreid/>