[tahoe-dev] what's the plan for "tahoe.exe"?

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Fri Jan 28 04:28:05 UTC 2011

On 2011-01-27 19:10, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> Thanks in large part to David-Sarah's work, it is now possible to
> build a single Windows executable named "tahoe.exe" that contains the
> Python interpreter, the Tahoe-LAFS code, and all of the dependencies.

That's not actually how bb-freeze works. The tahoe.exe that it produces
is a stub, which must be distributed with a directory full of DLLs and
eggs. (The dist directory that it created for me has 33 files.) The
advantage is that, in theory, it doesn't need anything other than the
files in that directory; at least nothing that is not a standard part of
Windows. You could distribute those files in a self-extracting zip, but
the user would still need to extract it as a separate step.

On the other hand, all of the changes that were made to support bb-freeze,
are I believe also correct and necessary for other Python "freezer" tools.
(Where conditional code was needed, it tests for a 'sys.frozen' attribute
that is intended to be used by all such tools.)