[tahoe-dev] Pubgrid is back

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Thu Jul 7 05:43:37 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Richard Johnson
<rjohnson+tahoe-dev at ucar.edu> wrote:

> If I find my own pictures or videos being shown publicly without proper
> compensation, and wish to have the unauthorized copies taken down, how do I
> reach the actual holder of the data in a manner that is understandable?

These are good questions, Richard, and I appreciate discussion about
this that isn't too deeply colored by political fervor.

I'm not sure what "actual holder" means in this case. In the case of
the DMCA takedown request that the pubgrid public gateway operators
received, the file was being accessed by a widely-known URL that
pointed to the pubgrid public gateway. By making that URL stop
working, the pubgrid public gateway operators have, I suspect,
completely satisfied the desires of the takedown requestor.

Suppose you are the rights holder for this file and you want it to be
taken down:

http://insecure.tahoe-lafs.org/file/URI%3ACHK%3Ase24jiufl7aynk5x2ryhhwsfcq%3Ab7goo2cukmsu2ci4l7mus5swinaefo3xyj5fbvourq6n27rvr7ea%3A3%3A10%3A1339235/@@named=/10.1.1.69.5621.pdf

I'm pretty sure that what you would want is for that *URL* to be taken
down, which means you need to send your request to the controller of
the gateway located at "insecure.tahoe-lafs.org". Fortunately, that is
also the easiest thing for you to do and the ability to comply with
such requests is the easiest thing for us to implement.

If in the future alternative uses of Tahoe-LAFS become widespread --
uses which don't go through public gateways -- then we'll probably
need to revisit this issue, but at the moment, I don't think anything
else is needed, nor do I understand a good way to provide anything
else.