[tahoe-dev] Windows service problem

sickness sickness at tiscali.it
Tue Jul 12 06:41:02 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 10:56:46PM -0700, Shu Lin wrote:
> My command batch script is just like this:
> c:\tahoe-lafs\bin\tahoe start --basedir=c:\tahoe_node
>
> Has anyone got an idea?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> -Shu
>
> On Jul 9, 2011, at 8:34 AM, Shu Lin wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I followed the instruction in AdvancedInstall to set up Windows service by using Windows Resource Kit. I think I installed service with no problem. And my script has no problem also since I can run the script on the command line correctly. But, the service start had a problem of stopping automatically with the error dialog coming as the attachment.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Shu
> >
> > <tahoe_windows_srv.JPG>

I had the same problem and solved starting the interpreter and then they pyscript, so my:
C:\tahoelafsclient\tahoelafsclient.bat
would have inside:
"C:\Python26\python.exe"  "c:\tahoe-lafs\bin\tahoe.pyscript"  start C:\tahoelafsclient
in this way the service will start correctly.

But then the problem is that the service will not stop :)

And I've also found that expecially on windows2000, the os will boot, and the service will always start...
...but if an user will login, and then logout from the windows console, the service will crash :/

at point 13 of this howto are my win32 instructions which I've collected from various places on the net:
http://www.sickness.it/tahoe-lafs.txt
I used them to build a storage grid of 1 introducer + 10 storage nodes, all of them on win32 (mixed win2k workstation an winxp pro)
This grid is all composed of user workstations, that do not even know they run a grid, it's just to use
their otherwise wasted local disk space (they have 160Gb disks and use like 10Gb for the os, and then use only networked apps)
So in the morning when people comes at work, the grid comes up nicely, and since tahoe doesn't need to be shut down nicely, when people
goes at home and simply shuts down windows, the grid goes down nicely.
The only problem is if an user logs out and logs in again for whatever reason, in this case the node stops, and the service needs to
be manually restarted, I still had not time to investigate this problem :(