[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS v1.9.0 for Ubuntu Oneiric!? Re: when do patches need to be finished in order to get into v1.9.0?

bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org
Thu Jul 14 12:46:18 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 09:51:34AM -0600, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 2:32 PM,  <bertagaz at ptitcanardnoir.org> wrote:
> >
> > A new version is good news, specially this one bringing multiple
> > introducers for storage grid, a feature I can wait to use!
>
> Ah, the multi-introducers feature is not going to be ready for v1.9
> unless someone volunteers to work on it. Faruq wrote a patch, which
> included some unit tests, but Myckel tried the patch and reported some
> weird behavior. I can't tell for sure if it was a coincidence --
> Myckel's Tahoe-LAFS grid may have failed due to some unrelated issue
> -- or if there is some bug in Faruq's patch. In any case Faruq's patch
> doesn't have a unit test which specifically simulates the situation
> that Myckel experience, so therefore the patch isn't ready to be
> merged into trunk. Please see #68 for details and for your opportunity
> to help. :-)

Ah that's a shame, wonder where I get the idea it will be merged.

The problem seems to be that if a machine is shutdown, the tahoe nodes it
runs aren't stopped correctly, so others nodes don't notice they are down.
Do you think an init script might workaround this problem (as it would
stop each nodes of a machine before this one being shutdown), or is it too
much related to tahoe's internal (like proving there's a bug somewhere) to
be corrected this way?

> You could start by just trying Faruq's patch and seeing how it works for you.

I'll do as soon as I'll find some spare time :)

bert.