[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS v1.9.0 for Ubuntu Oneiric!? Re: when do patches need to be finished in order to get into v1.9.0?

Nathan Eisenberg nathan at atlasnetworks.us
Thu Jul 14 20:24:28 UTC 2011

> The problem seems to be that if a machine is shutdown, the tahoe nodes it
> runs aren't stopped correctly, so others nodes don't notice they are down.

It seems like it would be relatively easy for nodes to 'keepalive' eachother.

IE:

Node A learns about B, C, and D from the introducer, and starts a 'keepalive' connection to each of them.  Every 60 seconds Node A heartbeats Node B, C and D to verify they are up.  If they don't respond to the heartbeat, Node A will remove them from its known servers.

Bonus: The introducer should do the same thing.  If Node A keeps learning about Node B from the introducer, despite having removed it $MAX_FAILED_HEARTBEAT_CYCLES times, we can determine that there is a connectivity issue between the two nodes (even though both are apparently online) and return some information to the introducer about it.  Then the introducer can tell the user - hey, Node A and B can't talk, even though they can both talk to me.

Nathan