[tahoe-dev] let's stop supporting versions of Python other than v2.7 on Windows

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Sun Jul 24 02:06:52 UTC 2011

On 7/18/11 1:35 PM, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:

> By "supporting" here, I mean going out of our way to provide binary
> eggs of dependencies, and actively soliciting people to run
> buildslaves.
>
> Let's do those things only for Python 2.7, and not for other versions
> of Python, on Windows. Also let's maintain all of our docs describing
> Python 2.7 on Windows.

Sounds good to me.

> As for what versions of Python we support on all other platforms than
> Windows, I propose that we continue our long-standing tradition of
> supporting everything from Python 2.4.4 up to 2.7.

Also good by me. I'm slowly building a list of things we could clean up
if we were to drop e.g. 2.4 or 2.5 support, but it isn't very big yet.
My biggest motivating factor for supporting a given python release is
which large distributions still ship with it. Ubuntu's oldest supported
LTS is Hardy (8.04) with python2.5.2, Debian's stable (squeeze) is
py2.6.6, and OS-X (as of yesterday)'s oldest is Snow Leopard (10.6) with
py2.6.1 .

So let's defer the py2.4 question for another six months. Ubuntu will
support Hardy (on server) until mid-2013, and after that I'd be happy to
drop py2.5 support.