[tahoe-dev] let's stop supporting versions of Python other than v2.7 on Windows

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Sun Jul 24 11:58:45 UTC 2011

On Jul 24, 2011, at 6:09 AM, Jimmy Tang wrote:

> I would be happy to see that 2.4 support was kept until RHEL5 is discontinued, I've a bunch of RHEL5 clones running in a lab providing me with some *storage* for backups.

Its feasible to retrofit python-2.6 (and likely 2.7) onto RHEL5: I've done this
multiple times in order to run buildbot masters on CentOS5, and its
clear from the packaging I used that even Red Hat is retrofitting
python because of the way the python is packaged.

You (and tahoe-LAFS) are not the only users around with legacy python issues,
and at some point, one just has to retrofit
	/usr/bin/python26
and use
	#!/usr/bin/python26
or arrange for a PATH variable including a bin directory with a python -> python26 symlink.

The benefit of retrofit I'm suggesting needs to be weighed against the complexity
of maintaining all python applications to handle booth newer and older versions
of python everywhere "portably".

hth

73 de Jeff