[tahoe-dev] tahoe-dev Digest, Vol 51, Issue 14

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Mon Jun 13 22:57:09 UTC 2011

Dear Shu Lin:

Hm, now this is something that I don't understand. On Mon, Jun 13,
2011 at 9:18 AM you reported that you had run "python setup.py build"
and it ended with:

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Shu Lin <linshu at gmail.com> wrote:

> C:\tahoe-lafs>c:\Python26\python.exe setup.py build
>    return self.build_and_install(setup_script, setup_base)
>  File "C:\tahoe-lafs\setuptools-0.6c16dev3.egg\setuptools\command\easy_install.py",
> line 938, in build_and_install
>    self.run_setup(setup_script, setup_base, args)
>  File "C:\tahoe-lafs\setuptools-0.6c16dev3.egg\setuptools\command\easy_install.py",
> line 929, in run_setup
>    raise DistutilsError("Setup script exited with %s" % (v.args[0],))
> distutils.errors.DistutilsError: Setup script exited with error:
> Unable to find vcvarsall.bat

Now I'm pretty sure that "Unable to find vcvarsall.bat" means that it
is trying to build a package from source. The part I don't understand
is: why didn't it use the binary packages that are available, either
the ones we host at

http://tahoe-lafs.org/source/tahoe-lafs/deps/tahoe-lafs-dep-eggs/README.html

Or ones hosted by the authors of the library itself, such as the
Twisted package hosted at

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Twisted

The Twisted-11.0.0-py2.6-win32.egg file was uploaded to
pypi.python.org on 2011-06-10, so one explanation for why your build
tried to build from source would be if you ran your build before
2011-06-10 but then didn't mail the results to the list until
2011-06-13. Is that the case?

Another possibility would be that you had a network outage or firewall
issue which prevented the build script from seeing pypi.python.org.
You could test for that by running "wget
http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.6/T/Twisted/Twisted-11.0.0-py2.6-win32.egg"
or otherwise downloading that file to see if you can download it.

Another possibility is that it isn't the Twisted package at all that
it is trying to build from source, but another package. Could you
please try the "python setup.py build" command again, and this time
add the "-v" flag for more verbose output, like "python setup.py -v
build"?

Thank you!