[tahoe-dev] Summit Grid Creation Party announcement.

Nathan nejucomo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 19:15:23 UTC 2011

Dear Tahoe-LAFS hackers, I posted this announcement to the Noisebridge
discussion list just now.  If you are around for the Summit, stop by!

This will be a great opportunity to find interested contributors and
users as well as possibly getting useful feedback and proposals.

Announcing:

What: Tahoe-LAFS Grid Creation Party
Where: Noisebridge, in the Turing Classroom
When: Wednesday, the 29th, starting at 19:00.

I'd like to invite anyone interested in attending a Grid Creation
Party for Tahoe-LAFS.

This is an open source, (mostly) decentralized file storage system
which lets you take advantage of network storage resources without
trusting the storage devices.  It has some advantages over the simple
"encrypt on top of a cloud storage service" approach:

There is no one organization you must trust for availability.  What if
CloudHype, Inc, decides to yank all of your encrypted blobs?  This
also implies it is resistant to DOS and deletion attacks, while
providing integrity that more common alternatives, such as sneakernet
or rsync/http(s) mirrors, lack.  How do you know that mirror isn't
serving you code injections or subtly altered content?

There is a fine-grained access control model that makes sharing
convenient while maintaining security.  The sharing and security
properties are (hopefully) intuitive:  Share a URL.

So come install it, hack it, break it, propose better alternative
designs, build decentralized secure storage support into your favorite
app.

I've updated the events section on the wiki to advertise this event.
I'll stop by the membership meeting next week to give a recap of this
email and listen for concerns.  Feedback, concerns, haiku, suggestions
welcome.

Could someone with google calendar access add this event?  That would
be much appreciated.

Nathan

links:

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Noisebridge - You may have heard of it?