[tahoe-dev] failed install with python 2.7

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Wed Jun 22 05:22:56 UTC 2011

Dear Joseph Cusumano:

Welcome! Thank you for the bug report.

The problem you are having is because there are some binary packages
required by Tahoe-LAFS and we (or the maintainers of those packages)
provide those packages for Python 2.6 but not for Python 2.7 on
Windows, and you don't have a compiler installed (which would
automatically build those binary packages from source).

Did you not notice the part of quickstart.html that said: "On Windows,
we recommend the use of Python v2.6"? :-)

Maybe we should state this more strongly. The fact is, we recommend
that version because any other version will not work unless you have a
compiler installed on your system. :-)

However, PenguinOfDoom from the Twisted channel on IRC has just kindly
supplied us with binary packages for Python 2.7 for Win32 (but not for
Win64). I just uploaded those to our server and rebuilt the
README.html, so this matrix now has a row of filled-in packages for
Python 2.7 on Win32:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/source/tahoe-lafs/deps/tahoe-lafs-dep-eggs/README.html

(You can inspect the current README.html and compare it to
README-old.html, which is a copy that I just made of README.html
before updating it so you could see what it looked like back when your
setup attempt failed.)

http://tahoe-lafs.org/source/tahoe-lafs/deps/tahoe-lafs-dep-eggs/README-old.html

So if this works, the setup you attempted should actually succeed
(after downloading these binaries from our server), and if it does
then we can update the quickstart.html to explain that Windows users
really need to use Python 2.7, unless they have a working compiler
installed on your system.

Please let us know how it goes!