[tahoe-dev] what's the plan for "tahoe.exe"?

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Wed Mar 16 18:48:31 UTC 2011

On 16/03/11 06:06, Shu Lin wrote:
> David[-Sarah] and Greg,
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
>>From my understanding, the tahoe.exe is a way provided for the dummy users
> (I am probably one of them :-) ), who don't need even run "python setup.py
> build" or even don't need install python on their Windows.
>
> I got this impression from original Zooko and Brain's posts (
> http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2011-January/005989.html). Did I
> understand wrong? Or, 1.8.2 is not the release, I should expect it is in 1.9
> release.

It's unlikely that there will be a single-file executable as Zooko described
in point 2 of that email. (The Python packaging tools that we might use do
not support that, because they require a separate Python executable and DLLs.
In any case it would be very slow, since the libraries would have to be
extracted in memory on every use of 'tahoe'.)

The main advantage of a "frozen" build is that it includes all of the
dependent libraries, and the Python interpreter. But there will still have
to be a build step after downloading the frozen distribution.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥ http://davidsarah.livejournal.com