[tahoe-dev] Do the storage severs and storage nodes represent the same thing?

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Sun May 1 19:31:19 UTC 2011

Hello,

Eurekafag's answer is right—"storage node" is another word for
"storage server". We sometimes use "node" to mean a Tahoe-LAFS process
which might be running a storage server or might be running a storage
client (gateway), or a process which could be running both. In the
early years we usually talked about "nodes" and "peers" and imagined
that most processes would run both a server and a client (gateway),
but it turns out that in practice servers and clients are usually
separate processes, and I've been pushing us to use the more specific
words whenever possible instead of the more general "node". If you
find some documentation that says "node" when it could say "server" or
it could say "client", please fix it. :-)