[tahoe-dev] 1.9.0 tarball broken

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Mon Nov 14 00:16:46 UTC 2011

On 13/11/11 11:31, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:

>> Yes, this is a bug in setuptools.
>
> No, if it is a bug, it is a bug in distutils.

I don't make a strong distinction between setuptools and distutils,
because setuptools heavily patches distutils without attempting to
maintain any modular separation between them. It's just easier to
say "setuptools" than "setuptools plus distutils as patched by
setuptools".

>> We need to stop using setuptools.
>
> Switching to another tool would be trading out these bugs for
> different bugs.

Yes, and I'd be really pleased about that, because at least they
would be bugs I could understand. At this point I have a profound
dislike of setuptools, and can't imagine that it will ever be fixed
in a way that would make me happy with Tahoe-LAFS using it.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥ http://davidsarah.livejournal.com