[tahoe-dev] 1.9.0 tarball broken

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Mon Nov 14 02:31:05 UTC 2011

On 13/11/11 17:01, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood
> <david-sarah at jacaranda.org> wrote:
>>> No, if it is a bug, it is a bug in distutils.
>>
>> I don't make a strong distinction between setuptools and distutils, because setuptools heavily patches distutils without attempting to maintain any modular separation between them. It's just easier to say "setuptools" than "setuptools plus distutils as patched by setuptools".
>
> Well, the reason to make the distinction is that if we stopped using
> setuptools, as per Brian's "unsuck" branch, or if we switched to a
> different tool, such as distribute, pip, distutils2, paver, or
> whatever (note: some of those tools may be different types of thing),
> then that'd probably not change this particular behavior.

It probably would if the replacement did not use the implementation of
'setup.py sdist' that is in distutils. I would be in favour of using a
replacement that is not based on distutils at all. (Note that this
doesn't preclude providing reasonably close compatibility with the
'setup.py' command interface.)

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥ http://davidsarah.livejournal.com