[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS Logo controversy

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Fri Oct 14 17:43:10 UTC 2011

Folks:

I want to print a few t-shirts with the Tahoe-LAFS logo on them for
the Summit. But what is the Tahoe-LAFS logo? My favorite of the
submissions so far on ticket #1185 is the one we're already using! But
David-Sarah prefers the upper-right hand one of Sam Mason's sam1.png
[1].

How do we decide? The Tahoe-LAFS project has a well-honed process for
making technical design decisions. It involves Brian, David-Sarah and
me discussing technical details and anyone else in the world being
welcome to contribute factual technical arguments and ideas. Our
process also has a dash of "do-ocracy"—the one who is going to do most
of the work to implement, document, and maintain something gets a
bigger say in how it is done.

I'm not entirely sure how I want to manage to process of logo and
website design, though. Certainly if someone offers to update the
website and print t-shirts for the Summit, on the condition that they
get to choose the logo that they like, then they'll get my vote.
Because that way I won't have to do the t-shirt-printing job.

Otherwise, if I perceive some sort of consensus among Tahoe-LAFS
users, enthusiasts, and contributors about a logo then I'll take that
one, especially if it is one David-Sarah likes. So please let us know
your opinion, whether it is just a "like/don't like" kind of feeling,
or whether you have specific points or candidate designs to share. See
ticket #1185 to get started. Thank you!

Now, for what it is worth here are my preferences about logo design:

1. I prefer the red/black color scheme.

2. I prefer for people to call it "Tahoe-LAFS" instead of "Tahoe". (It
is unfortunate, but necessary for accurate communication, e.g. when
searching.)

3. I like for the circles to have directed links (with arrows) in
order to indicate the flow of information and the asymmetric nature of
reliance.

Less strongly, I also have the following ideas:

a. I prefer the red circle without a border, as in rycee1.png [2] and
kpreid2.png [3] to the red circle with black border, as in sam1.png.

b. I like the GNU FreeFont Sans [4]. It looks good to me and it is a
widely-used GPL'ed font.

[1] http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/attachment/ticket/1185/sam1.png
[2] http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/attachment/ticket/1185/rycee1.png
[3] http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/attachment/ticket/1185/kpreid2.png