[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS Logo selection

Dirk Loss lists at dirk-loss.de
Tue Oct 25 10:23:56 UTC 2011

On 25.10.11 07:35, Randall Mason wrote:
> The common three out of ten must survive is probably at least partly
> from: http://bigasterisk.com/tahoe-playground/ where they use three
> of ten shares to recover.

I got my false impression from the following sentence in
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/trunk/docs/about.rst
"Therefore only the simultaneous failure of N-K+1 (with the defaults, 8)
servers can make the data unavailable."

> Never underestimate a non-technical illustration conveying technical
> information to users.  That's one reason the logo is so important.
> People will search for meaning in everything they see in the first 30
> seconds of being on the site and assume a bunch of things.

As a Tahoe-LAFS novice, I agree completely. So if I understand
David-Sarah correctly and in the default configuration only 4 out of 10
servers can fail without bad consequences for my data, my logo is
completely misleading and shouldn't be used.

So what would be the best way to learn about the exact meaning of those
shares.total, shares.happy, shares.needed parameters, and how shares
relate to servers? I've started reading ticket #1092, but that seems to
confuse me even more...

I guess I'm looking for some kind of glossary for Tahoe-LAFS that
defines the basic terms and their relationships. If that doesn't exist
yet, I would be willing to help creating one. Well, all I could do at my
basic level of knowledge would be to extract text from the existing
docs, and let someone competent proof-read and correct it. But maybe
that's helpful nevertheless.

In the end, something like the "Visual guide to Chef" for Tahoe-LAFS
would be brilliant: http://www.mynameiskate.com/visual-guide-to-chef/

Best regards,
Dirk