[tahoe-dev] How many servers can fail? (was: Tahoe-LAFS Logo selection)

Shawn Willden shawn at willden.org
Wed Oct 26 12:25:09 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Nathan Eisenberg
<nathan at atlasnetworks.us> wrote:
> To great extent, yes, although operating with 7 servers in a 3 of 10 encoding is
> suboptimal.  To keep things simple, you might simply set H=N (10), so that
> uploads will fail if they cannot be evenly distributed among 10 servers.

My recent experience suggests that there's a problem with setting H=N.
 It appears that this may significantly reduce write availability even
when more than N servers are available.  I found that I get much
better write availability when I set N=H+2.  I need to do some
experimentation to see if N=H+1 is enough; my suspicion is that it
depends on the grid.

--
Shawn