[tahoe-dev] Need help with PyCrypto-2.4!

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Mon Oct 31 02:07:43 UTC 2011

Ok, following Zooko's suggestion (and our practice from the previous
PyCrypto-2.3), I'm going with the "host binary eggs of pycrypto-2.4 so
tahoe installations won't try to compile it themselves" route.

I've built binary .eggs of PyCrypto-2.4 for the two platforms available
to me (py2.6-linux-i686 and py2.6-macosx-10.6-universal). To get
platform parity with PyCrypto-2.3, we need folks on the following
platforms to build binary eggs and send them to us so we can host them
on tahoe-lafs.org:

 py2.6-freebsd-8.1-RELEASE-i386
 py2.6-linux-x86_64
 py2.6-macosx-10.6-universal
 py2.6-netbsd-5.0.2-i386
 py2.6-win-amd64
 py2.6-win32
 py2.7-linux-x86_64
 py2.7-win32

Act quick! Now's your chance to insert a rootkit[1] into probably dozens
of fellow platform-users :-).

I'm going to release 1.9 without any other changes affecting it's use of
PyCrypto-2.4, which means:

 * if you already have a source tree that works, updating it will keep
   working (it will use the PyCrypto-2.3 .egg in your build/support/
   directory)
 * if you download the 1.9 tarball and build it on a system that already
   has PyCrypto installed, it'll work
 * if your system doesn't already have PyCrypto installed:
   * if you're on a platform for which we have .eggs, it will work
   * if you manually build and install PyCrypto yourself, it will work
   * if you just run tahoe's "python setup.py build" twice, it will work
 * it only fails if you don't already have PyCrypto installed, you
   aren't on a platform for which we have an .egg, and you expect
   tahoe's "python setup.py build" to work on the first attempt.

thanks,
 -Brian

[1]: please don't do this