[tahoe-dev] retaining python-2.4 support for tahoe-1.9

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Mon Oct 31 02:15:26 UTC 2011

On 10/29/11 10:03 AM, Vladimir Rusinov wrote:

> Oh no, please don't drop python 2.4 support. There's simple reason:
> RHEL/CentOS 5 uses python 2.4. RHEL 6 was released not so far ago, and
> there's lots of RHEL 5 servers all arount the world, and they'll be
> here for a very long time.

Ok, message received. I won't do anything to drop python-2.4 support in
1.9.

One thing I did notice: the current version of zope.interface (3.8.0) no
longer supports python-2.4 . I updated the tahoe-deps tarball to include
the latest versions of all our dependencies, including zope.interface.
So starting about a month ago (3.8.0 was released 22-Sep-2011), if
you're building Tahoe on a host that doesn't already have zope.interface
installed (unlikely, since it's needed by twisted), then you may run
into problems, which can be overcome by manually installing an older
version of zope.interface.

Let's pick the discussion up again in a couple of months: there are some
code cleanups we could do if we could drop support for python-2.4, and
more of our dependent libraries may make that choice too.

thanks!