[tahoe-dev] Join a dev grid or should I start my own?

Aaron Drew aarond10 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 21:40:59 UTC 2012

Hi tahoe dev folk,

I've just discovered your project and I *love* the look of it. I want to
kick the tyres but I need a grid first to test it out. Is there a developer
/ user grid that is mature enough to use? I can contribute up to about
500GB at this stage and I'd use around 30GB myself (+ 70GB for coded
blocks?). My machine's poorly connected speed-wise (ADSL, 1.5MB/sec down,
150KB/sec up) but always available. If there's no such network avaialble,
I'll try to hunt down 3-4 friends to help test it.

Quick about me:

I've been slowly working away on the foundation layers of something similar
to Tahoe (https://github.com/aarond10/rawdishfs) for months now as a way of
both backing up and sharing wedding and family photos but found I have been
spending more time on the base libraries (
https://github.com/aarond10/epoll_threadpool) than on actual
implementation. Tahoe-lafs seems like it has similar aims to what I
eventually hoped to build. I made the decision to go with C++ after
discovering how slow python's FUSE library was (the global interpreter lock
is probably to blame) but that has really slowed me down and while I don't
really want to throw away my hard work, I do feel like I've been
reinventing the wheel so I'm much rather join forces with like-minded
developers. I originally prototyped the basics of my implementation in
foolscap and I've looked at zfec so I already know a little about those
already so I can hopefully be handy contributing code once I'm up to speed.

- Aaron