[tahoe-dev] New web UI concept with Twitter Bootstrap

markus reichelt ml at mareichelt.com
Thu Apr 5 21:24:07 UTC 2012

* Tony Arcieri <tony.arcieri at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,

I'm glad to see it finally worked  :)

> I'm a big fan of Tahoe LAFS. However, one thing I'm not a fan of is
> the present web UI.  It seems a bit clunky and disorganized to me,
> and visually it just doesn't look very good.

Tend to agree, but I'm not sure what exactly you mean with the
'disorganized' part.

> I've put together a concept for at least a new dashboard page using the
> Twitter Bootstrap CSS framework. Here's a screenshot:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/ia7c4.png
>
> Please don't dive down into the nitty gritty yet (I've already
> gotten some feedback that the alias-related stuff may not be
> doable).  I'm mostly just looking for a general reaction of whether
> or not it's a good idea to "reboot" the web UI like this.
>
> Overall, do you think this is a step up from the previous web UI?

Well, I was one of the people who commented on the alias stuff,
merely from having checked screenshots.  Your approach to things
looks nifty.

I adapted tahoe's default css to have a compromise between the
hardcoded-light-background style and something that doesn't hurt my
eyes. My first approach was to go old-style, dark background, less
contrast, the all-in-wonder-no-eye-cancer-guaranteed-thingy but that
didn't work at all on the tech-heavy pages.

> I'm not sure how much people actually care about these sorts of
> features, but it's built using a "responsive" layout that will
> gracefully degrade to many different screen sizes, so for example
> it's easily viewable on smartphones.

Well, let's try and see what kinda feedback you'll get. I like the
coloured dots, stating the status. Intuitive, and easy on the layout.

However, one might want to consider an optional some-sort-of 'tech'
parameter (in config or via URI) to also show tubids/IP:ports.  I've
grown accustomed to such things and I agree with Ted that a
nickname-based sorting would be nice :)

--
left blank, right bald