[tahoe-dev] TWN 26

Patrick R McDonald marlowe at antagonism.org
Sat Apr 14 15:21:44 UTC 2012

Tahoe-LAFS Weekly News, issue number 26, April 14, 2012

Welcome to the Tahoe-LAFS Weekly News (TWN).  Tahoe-LAFS_ is a secure,
distributed storage system. `View TWN on the web`_ *or* `subscribe to TWN`_.
If you would like to view the "new and improved" TWN, complete with pictures;
please take a `look`_.

.. _Tahoe-LAFS: https://tahoe-lafs.org
.. _View TWN on the web: https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/TahoeLAFSWeeklyNews
.. _look: https://tahoe-lafs.org/~marlowe/TWN26.html

- From the tahoe-dev Mailing List
from our outage.  Next week will resume our regularly scheduled TWN.

Tahoe-LAFS and Ports
- --------------------

Marko Niinimaki posted a question regarding `what TCP ports Tahoe-LAFS
uses`_.  From docs/configuration.rst:

"``tub.port = (integer, optional)``

    This controls which port the node uses to accept Foolscap connections
    from other nodes. If not provided, the node will ask the kernel for any
    available port. The port will be written to a separate file (named
    ``client.port`` or ``introducer.port``), so that subsequent runs will
    re-use the same port."

Hopefully this answers Marko's question.  I will be adding the question and
its answer to the `FAQ`_.

.. _`what TCP ports Tahoe-LAFS uses`:
   https://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2012-April/007286.html
.. _`FAQ`: https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/FAQ

Volunteer Grid 2 Hits a Milestone
- ---------------------------------

Shawn Willden `announced VG2 hitting a major milestone`_.

  "VG2 hit a milestone sometime early this morning or late last night:  20
  nodes!  20 highly-available (95+% uptime), high capacity (500 GB - 1 TB)
  nodes, distributed all over the world.  Well, we'll see if the newest nodes
  meet the availability standard, but their operators have committed to it.

  According to the stats gatherer (which appears to have data on 16 of the
  nodes -- we'll get the others in there), we currently have just over 9 TB
  available storage space, right around 6 TB used, and we're uploading 140 GB
  per day.

  Next goal:  32 nodes highly-reliable nodes." [`0`_]

Congratulations to all the members of VG2 and good luck hitting your next
milestone.

.. _`announced VG2 hitting a major milestone`:
   https://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2012-April/007267.html
.. _`0`:
   https://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2012-April/007267.html

Welcome Page
- ------------

Ted Rolle, Jr `requested a couple fixes to the welcome page`.  The first
request was to order the nodes by nickname rather than by peer ID.  This is
ticket `#1709`_.  The second requested was to change 'To' to 'to'.  This is
ticket `#1708`_ and has already been fixed.

.. _`requested a couple of fixes to the welcome page`:
   https://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2012-April/007256.html
.. _`#1709`: https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1709
.. _`#1708`: https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1708

New Web UI Concept
- ------------------

Tony Arcieri `began work on a new Web UI` using the Twitter Bootstrap CSS
Framework.  His work is built with a responsive layout which will allow to it
degrade to the appropriate screen size.  This would allow the web UI to fit
comfortably in the screen of your smart phone.  The response to the work has
been favorable and a ticket exists at `#1713`_ if you would  like to review
it or learn more.

.. _`began work on a new web UI`:
   https://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2012-April/007257.html
.. _`#1713`: https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1713

AppArmor Profile
- ----------------

Mike Kazantsev `created an AppArmor profile` for Tahoe-LAFS.  `AppArmor` is

  "an effective and easy-to-use Linux application security system. AppArmor
  proactively protects the operating system and applications from external
  or internal threats, even zero-day attacks, by enforcing good behavior and
  preventing even unknown application flaws from being exploited.  AppArmor
  security policies completely define what system resources individual
  applications can access, and with what privileges. A number of default
  policies are included with AppArmor, and using a combination of advanced
  static analysis and learning-based tools, AppArmor policies for even very
  complex applications can be deployed successfully in a matter of hours."
  [`1`_]

Further information can be found on the `Tahoe-LAFS AppArmor`_ page.  I would
really like to see this profile incorporated into Debian and Ubuntu packages
of Tahoe-LAFS.

.. _`created an AppArmor profile`:
   https://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2012-March/007128.html
.. _`AppArmor`: http://wiki.apparmor.net/index.php/Main_Page
.. _`1`: http://wiki.apparmor.net/index.php/Main_Page
.. _`Tahoe-LAFS AppArmor`:
   https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/apparmor

Patches Needing Review of the Week
==================================

There is one (1) ticket still needing review for 1.9.2:

* `#1115`_: add servers-of-happiness to reports (post-repair says 10
  hosts have good shares but there only 4 hosts)

There are four (4) tickets still needing review for 1.10:

* `#1161`_: improve new-downloader logging
* `#1579`_: Patch to Add "Move" Functionality to Web Interface
  problem)
* `#443`_: set ETag on immutable directories, short-circuit on cache hit
* `#1693`_: flogtool doesn't get automatically provided

.. _`#1115`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1115
.. _`#1161`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1161
.. _`#1579`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1579
.. _`#443`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/443
.. _`#1566`: http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1566
.. _`#1693`: https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1693

- ----

*The Tahoe-LAFS Weekly News is published once a week by The Tahoe-LAFS*
*Software Foundation, President and Treasurer: Peter Secor* |peter|
*. Scribes: Patrick "marlowe" McDonald* |marlowe| *, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn*
|zooko| *, Editor: Zooko.* `View TWN on the web`_ *or* `subscribe to TWN`_
*. Send your news stories to* `marlowe at antagonism.org`_ *— submission
deadline: Friday night.*

.. _marlowe at antagonism.org: mailto:marlowe at antagonism.org
.. |zooko| image:: zooko.png