[tahoe-dev] how to control the data distribution

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Tue Apr 17 17:00:53 UTC 2012

On 17/04/12 13:36, huang jun wrote:
> Hi,everyone
> Tahoe using hash to balance the overload and data distribution cross the storage grid,we
> have an  idea:
> Assume the storage grid seperate in two sites A and B, there are gateway nodes in both
> sites, and we want to store 4 shares of a file
> on A, and 6 shares on B.so that when we read the file, we can direct the http request to
> a nearest  gateway of our computer, take B as example,
> then request the storage nodes in site B and get 3 of 6 shares, now we got the  file.
>
> so do we have any ways to achieve this?

You can easily have multiple gateways to the same grid. Also, clients will automatically
choose the nodes that respond fastest to download from, which are likely to be nodes on
the nearest site in the situation you describe.

What is not currently supported for this use case is to guarantee an even distribution
of shares between sites. Also, if you have a mobile computer there is no way to
automatically get it to connect to the nearest gateway.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥