[tahoe-dev] how to control the data distribution

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Wed Apr 18 21:57:16 UTC 2012

Dear huang jun:

This is a frequently requested feature. In fact, I see that there is
an entry about this in the Frequently Asked Questions:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/FAQ#Q12_server_location_distribution

I just updated that FAQ entry to include a link to the wiki page:

https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/wiki/ServerSelection

I hope that we're going to make progress on this issue again now that
Brian's new accounting work is unstuck. It should be possible, with
some programming (help welcome!) to make it do what you want.

In the meantime, if you have 4 nodes in A and 6 nodes in B, you could
try setting K=4, N=10. That should usually cause all 10 of the nodes
to have a share, and usually a download from the A gateway will get
all 4 shares from the A region and a download from the B gateway will
get all 4 shares from the B region. If you try that, I would be
interested to hear how it works.