[tahoe-dev] speed issues

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Sun Apr 22 22:23:04 UTC 2012

On 22/04/12 22:42, erpo41 at gmail.com wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I'm a new member of VolunteerGrid2, a tahoe-lafs grid run by volunteers to pool storage
> resources. My node is up and running, and other people seem to be getting acceptable
> performance storing files on it.
>
> However, when I try to back up my files into the grid, I get very poor performance:
> sometimes as low as 1.6kbytes measured by the tahoe client. At the NIC, I see typical
> upload rates of perhaps 100kbits/s. This is on a 10mbit/1mbit home cable connection. I
> would be shocked to discover that anyone else on the grid has a downstream connection
> slower than my upstream connection.
>
> Also, every once in a while, the tahoe client will crash. Here's the backtrace:

[...]
> UploadUnhappinessError(msg)\x0aallmydata.interfaces.UploadUnhappinessError: shares could
> be placed on only 12 server(s) such that any 5 of them have enough shares to recover the
> file, but we were asked to place shares on at least 13 such servers.: [Failure instance:
> Traceback (failure with no frames): <class 'allmydata.util.pipeline.PipelineError'>:
> <PipelineError error=([Failure instance: Traceback (failure with no frames): <class
> 'foolscap.ipb.DeadReferenceError'>: Connection was lost (to tubid=aty4) (during
> method=RIBucketWriter:write)\x0a])>\x0a]\x0a"
>
> The folks on the VG2 list suggested that this may be the appropriate place to report these
> problems.

How many servers are shown as connected on your gateway's Welcome page? The message says
that you are connected to only 12 servers, but shares.happy is set to 13.

(I know VG2 is supposed to have >= 20 servers, but perhaps your client is not able to
connect to some of them due to firewall/NAT issues?)

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥