[tahoe-dev] tahoe client "crashed" (was: speed issues)

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Mon Apr 23 18:31:46 UTC 2012

On 23/04/12 17:23, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 5:59 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood
> <david-sarah at jacaranda.org> wrote:
>>
>> On closer examination of the error message, this might be related to ticket #1636.
>
> Yes, I think this could be seen as related to #1636.
>
> However, what I've seen so far from Eric the Original Poster doesn't
> really prove that there is a bug at all (aside from the performance
> problem). He says that the tahoe client "crashes", but I interpret
> this as an instance of ticket #1048. I.e., the behavior was correct,
> but the error-reporting made it appear as an internal error to Eric,
> because it included a stack trace and a overzealously-quoted message.

I agree about the poor error reporting.

> So what should have happened, in accordance with ticket #1048, is
> instead of the output Eric saw (see his original message), he should
> have seen:
>
> """
> eric at io:/srv/per-user/eric$ tahoe backup backup-T61p/ tahoe:
> Upload failed.
>
> Failed to achieve required level of happiness. Shares could be placed
> on only 12 server(s) such that any 5 of them have enough shares to
> recover the file, but we were asked to place shares on at least 13
> such servers.

Well, it is also supposed to report the counts of servers that were
full and of servers that reported an error. I don't know why it didn't
report that.

We also have Shawn's assertion that more than 12 servers are accepting
shares on VG2, so an explanation is needed for why Eric's client only
found 12 servers that were accepting shares.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥