[tahoe-dev] split brain? how handled in tahoe -- docs?

Tony Arcieri tony.arcieri at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 08:36:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 1:31 AM, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn <zooko at zooko.com>wrote:

> In fact, it is quite likely that there were no files or
> directories to which write access was held by people on both sides of
> the partition!
>
> So, empirically, all this distributed consistency stuff that we're
> talking about is technically correct, and could probably be very
> useful in some specific cases, but with the Tahoe-LAFS access control
> architecture -- in which most things are immutable, and most mutable
> things are writable by few or only one writer -- such cases appear to
> be very rare.

I operate a Friendgrid, and we have a centralized "Incoming" directory into
which most previously unclassified content is uploaded by many users who
share the same writecap prior to being moved to a more appropriate location
by our content curators who have writecaps to, shall we say, the more
organized directory structure.

I think this is a pretty common use case (at the very least, having one or
more directories that users of a friendgrid might upload to simultaneously)
and I don't think a network partition is necessarily something they're
aware of let alone something that would stop them from uploading to such a
directory.

I think it's an important case to consider in a system like Tahoe.

--
Tony Arcieri