[tahoe-dev] 1.9.1 on really old machine

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Wed Feb 8 13:33:10 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 10:36 PM,  <mogwa at mogwa.net> wrote:

> On a side note i tried a clean centos 5.6 i386 build(had the disk kicking
> around) updated it to 5.7, installed the dep's and had a issue with the
> build even after i had provided all the deps.
>
> http://pastebin.com/2PiLaCYk

Thank you for the build report! All of the errors that I saw in that
log came from a dependencies not being present, so the build process
attempted to build that dependency automatically, and then it failed
due to missing some library or header file needed to compile. Your
method of installing the needed RPM packages and rebuilding worked to
get past that.

This process would be faster and easier the more packages are built by
a volunteer for Python 2.4 and hosted here:
https://tahoe-lafs.org/source/tahoe-lafs/deps/tahoe-lafs-dep-eggs/README.html

Currently we have a PyCrypto for Python 2.4 on linux-x86_64 and that's
all. If we had one each of Twisted, pyOpenSSL, PyCrypto, pycryptopp,
zfec, and zope.interface for linux-i686, then your build would have
been faster and would have worked the first time. It would have
downloaded the .egg's of each of those packages from that site instead
of attempting to compile anything. In fact, you would have been able
to run "python setup.py build" and have a complete build of tahoe-lafs
without even having gcc installed.

There is one thing in your build log that I don't understand. I don't
understand why it worked when you tried to build again after you hit
this bug in building pyOpenSSL:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/pyopenssl/+bug/845445

(By the way, you should log into launchpad.net and click on the little
yellow pencil icon next to "This bug affects me." on that page.)

Hm, I see that the first time you built, it downloaded pyOpenSSL 0.13
from http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/p/pyOpenSSL/pyOpenSSL-0.13.tar.gz
and the second time you built it, it downloaded pyOpenSSL 0.11 from
https://tahoe-lafs.org/source/tahoe-lafs/deps/tahoe-dep-sdists/pyOpenSSL-0.11.tar.gz
. I wonder why? Anyway, that's how you got past that problem.

By the way, we're currently planning for Tahoe-LAFS v1.9.1 to be the
last version of Tahoe-LAFS that is backwards-compatible with Python
2.4. In order to install a future Tahoe-LAFS v1.10.0 on CentOS/RHEL 5,
you'll probably have to install a newer Python that system first.
Please see this ticket:
https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1658 .