[tahoe-dev] moving to Git!

Jimmy Tang jcftang at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 15:09:56 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Brian Warner <warner at lothar.com> wrote:

> I landed changes the other week to make _version.py work from git: it
> probably isn't enough to let 'python sdist' or 'bdist_egg' work yet, but
> basic operations should succeed. It'll need a little more testing before
> we can safely cut a release from the git side. Likewise, there might be
> some test failures surrounding the self-determination of __version__.

I recently found that I wanted to run the sdist target on the git repo
as I wanted deploy the trunk version on a bunch of machines that I
have here in work. For various reasons it seemed sensible to use what
was there short of copying the working directory around. I ended up
just grabbing the darcs repo for generating my own snapshot tarballs
of the latest trunk.

I was just wondering if it's worth using git-subtree or git-submodules
to track the tahoe-deps directory (git-subtree is probably better).
Then an sdist might just become as simple as doing a git-archive
--format tar --prefix=$VERSION HEAD' for the sumo tarballs, for the
normal tarballs it might require some magic with filtering things out
though.

Anyway, the above is just my two cents for the migration to git.

Jimmy.

--
http://www.sgenomics.org/~jtang/