[tahoe-dev] git/darcs repo churn: action required if you updated this week

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Sun Jan 8 23:09:10 UTC 2012

Hi all.. If you use git or darcs to follow Tahoe development, and if
you've updated a tree in the last two days, you need to do some manual
work. Read on..

As you know, we're slowly transitioning from darcs to git. I have a
bridge set up that copies changes from one side to the other (in both
directions). The bridge is built out of a tool named
"darcs-fast-export", spit, and baling wire. It's kind of fragile.

It broke.

To fix it, I had to roll back the last two days of patches, and re-apply
them. The result is that the official repos now have slightly different
forms of the same code as they did before. The last good patch is from
David-Sarah, named "Use a private/drup_upload_dircap file..", dated
20-Nov-2011 (although there are other patches with newer dates.. neither
darcs nor git keeps things in chronological order).

If you're using darcs, and you have any patches after that one, you'll
need to 'darcs oblit' everything past it, and then re-pull. If you're
using git, you should just be able to do 'git reset --hard
origin/master' and then rebase any local work.

Sorry about the trouble.. I'm still trying to work out how to resolve
this problem better. (the root cause is that .darcs-boringfile ignores
.gitignore, and I landed some git-side changes which *only* modified
.gitignore, which darcs ignored, which gave us unequal numbers of
changes on either side of the bridge, which violated some bad
assumptions that the bridge was making).