[tahoe-dev] best practice for wanting to setup multiple tahoe instances on a single node

Jimmy Tang jcftang at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 00:11:45 UTC 2012

Hi All

I was just wondering if there are best practice recommendations for
setting up storage nodes? As far as I understand the recommended way
is to setup one instance per node with one big partition on the node.
What about setting up multiple instances of tahoe storage nodes per
partition on one machine, in an possible scenario where I have 150tb
of space on a machine but I can only make a bunch of 16tb partitions.
I ask this because we have a few machines in work right now with this
kind of setup and I'm kinda pushing for using tahoe-lafs as a possible
backend storage system, possibly with irods sitting on top to manage
the data (yet to be decided).

As a side question, as we expand the number of nodes, I would probably
want to change the k-of-n settings. would the migration method to
newer k-of-n parameters be copy and delete within the grid to
rebalance data? actually how does one rebalance the system as k-of-n
changes, I think this feature has been discussed in the past but it
hasn't really been looked at?

Thanks,
Jimmy.

--