[tahoe-dev] (no subject)

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Wed Jan 18 18:42:32 UTC 2012

Hi there.

There are several different ways that your problem could be fixed by
various people.

Option 1: the Tahoe-LAFS project (which is made up entirely of
volunteers, i.e. everyone reading this counts) could build a binary
egg of Twisted for Python 2.6/linux-x86. As you can see on
https://tahoe-lafs.org/source/tahoe-lafs/deps/tahoe-lafs-dep-eggs/README.html
, the slot for Python 2.6, Twisted, Linux-x86 is currently empty. If
it were filled, then when you tried to build Tahoe-LAFS it would have
downloaded that binary egg and would not have tried to compile it from
source.

(Of course, it then would have tried to compile pyOpenSSL, which as
you can see is also empty, and then zope.interface. Volunteers could
provide binary eggs of those two for Python 2.6, linux, x86, too.)

Option 2: the Twisted project (yep -- volunteers, you're a candidate!)
could fix the ticket http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/3586 "I want
to install twisted without a c compiler", so that when the build
downloads the Twisted source code and builds it, that succeeds even
though you don't have Python header files like "Python.h" installed.

Option 3: you could "sudo apt-get install python-dev"